Volunteers are those who, without expectation of payment, contribute time and service to an organization or cause in the belief that their activity will be both beneficial to the community and satisfying to themselves. Volunteers are team members working alongside paid staff and other volunteers to fulfill the Vancouver Island Local History Society’s mission and vision.
Volunteers are central to operations at Point Ellice House Museum and Gardens. Whether it’s through gardening and helping out with special events, or by engaging the public inside the house, volunteers create memorable experiences for visitors to this special place.
To apply for any of the volunteer roles:
- Fill out an online application
- Download an application file and submit via email or send via the postal service.
The following describes the specific volunteer roles and their descriptions. There are several volunteer opportunities offered at Point Ellice House Museum and Gardens. Currently, we are seeking volunteer interpreters and gardeners to join the team.
- Act as docent/ambassador for the Point Ellice House Museum and provide excellent customer service
- Ability to add commentary and highlights to self-guided tours
- Through self-study and regular meetings, research permanent/special exhibits to create and improve visitor experience
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills
- Ability to engage with the public and speak to large groups
- Background or interest in history/heritage
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Knowledge of a second language useful but not required
Training provided by: Visitor Services Coordinator / Curatorial Assistant
Commitment: 4 to 8 hours per month
- At direction of Head Gardener, assist with care and maintenance of gardens/grounds
- Through self-study and training, learn about history of gardens and grounds
- Ability to work in a team
- Knowledge of basic gardening techniques / previous gardening experience an asset
Training provided by: Head Gardener
Commitment: Minimum 6 hours/month