Point Ellice House Museum and Gardens is operated by the Vancouver Island Local History Society with financial support from the Province of British Columbia.
In 1975, 108 years after the O’Reilly family first purchased Point Ellice House, John and Inez sold the house and its contents to the Province of British Columbia. Realizing the significance of the family’s possessions, the couple left behind nearly everything – from armoires to tea services, a harp, clothing, writing desks, board games, kitchen utensils, and more. The items now on display at Point Ellice House cover the period from 1890 through 1920.
Throughout the twentieth century, industrial operations overtook the once residential character of the Rock Bay neighborhood. Point Ellice House and its surroundings remain a prime example of the urban, social, and environmental changes that Victoria and British Columbia have undergone over the last 160 years.
Today, the house and gardens provide a rare opportunity to see one of North America’s largest collections of late Victorian and early Edwardian objects in their original setting. Point Ellice House continues to be a site for recreation, social gatherings, and learning – a small oasis in the midst of urban commotion.